Vizio TVs are one of the most commonly found and right for the price TVs you can find around you. Vizio also deals in sound bars, software and advertising. These TVs can be an exciting buy though, they come with their own set of problems.
Some Vizio TV owners are facing with cut out video, zoomed in picture, and problems with the TVs aspect ratio which prevents them from watching TV without any issues and concerns.
What is the Aspect Ratio?
Aspect ratio means the height and width of your TV or any picture frame that you viewing. When there are issues with the picture getting cut or zoomed in, the picture is displayed in a different aspect ratio compared to your TV.
Types of Aspect Ratio
The Vizio TV has 3 aspect ratios that you can change to fit your viewing tastes.
The normal is the default Aspect Ratio setting. This shows the picture in the native resolution. The TV shows the way it is broadcasted by the service provider. There are no alterations here.
The Zoom settings remove all black areas from all 4 sides. It zooms into the picture, without concern for the picture getting cut to only show the picture. But it does get rid of all black edges. It is not the best mode to select if you are watching something with subtitles as they can get cut out of the viewing area and go beyond the edge.
The Wide Mode stretches the picture on the screen so that it takes up all of the screens. If you have black areas on the left or right side of the screen, they will be covered up in this mode. This can be good especially while watching content in native 4:3 aspect ratio and you want it stretched to cover the black areas.
Why does my Vizio TV get stuck in wide mode?
Most modern TVs come in the 16:9 aspect ratio. The old CRT televisions used to be in the 4:3 aspect ratio.
You could be viewing a picture that was originally filmed in the 4:3 mode which is closer to a square.
Alternatively, your TVs aspect ratio may have changed because of an accident. This must have caused the picture to be cut out.
It could also be because of issues from the broadcasting side. The show/ channel you are watching could have a different aspect ratio other than the native aspect ratio of your TV.
If the picture is zoomed in, IE. The picture is smaller than your TVs screen and there may be black edges, the content may be displayed at a lower resolution than your TV main screen. For eg.
The content displayed is 720p while the TV is a 1080p screen. Usually, the picture is adjusted on its own, but this issue can also present as a problem.
Fix Vizio tv stuck in wide mode / zoom mode
Method 1: Restart your TV
Switch off your TV by pressing the Power button on your Vizio TV remote. Now unplug the TV from the power outlet. Wait for a few seconds and replug it in the outlet.
Alternatively, you can also Soft Power Cycle your Vizio TV from the settings menu. This is also essentially, restarting your TV.
Method 2: Change aspect ratio settings
- Press the Vizio key on your remote. This will take you to the menu.
- Navigate to the System option in the menu and select it.
- Now to go the Aspect Ratio option by using your arrow keys and press OK.
- You’ll see 3 different options here:
- Normal, Wide and Zoom.
- Select the Normal option.
- Now, restart your TV.
- In some TVs, there is an Aspect Ratio button. If you click that, you’ll see the numbers 1-9 on your screen to select as an option. Don’t select any of those numbers. Press the number 0 on your TV and the TV should go to its default aspect ratio settings. This method won’t work for everyone.
Method 3: Turn off zoom mode
- Press the Vizio/Menu button on your TV remote.
- In the menu, navigate to the System option. Select this option.
- Now search for Accessibility. Find it and select it.
- In the Accessibility settings, turn off the Zoom Mode if it is turned on.
- Exit and restart your TV.
Method 4: Factory Reset Vizio TV to defaults.
Perform the following steps listed below to go back to Defaults on your Vizio TV.
- Using the remote, press the Vizio/Menu button.
- Use the Arrow buttons on the remote to highlight the System and select it.
- Highlight Reset & Admin and then press OK.
- Select Reset TV to Factory Defaults.
- Wait for the TV to turn off.
- The TV will turn back on and now the Setup App process will start.
SEE ALSO: Fix Vizio TV Blue Screen of Death 
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1.How do I get my VIZIO TV out of wide mode?
A. You get your Vizio TV out of Wide mode by changing the settings of your TV. Go to settings, Aspect Ratio and select Normal from the three options of Wide Normal and Zoom.
Q2. Why can’t I change the Aspect Ratio on VIZIO TV?
A. If you are having difficulties changing the aspect ratio of your TV, factory resetting your television would be a good option to consider. There also might be the issue of the channel you are viewing has a different aspect ratio than your TVs native aspect ratio. Try changing the media or channel you are viewing to troubleshoot the problem.
Q3. How do I reset the picture size on my VIZIO TV?
A. You can go to Settings >> Accessibility >> Zoom Mode and turn it off if it’s on. Alternatively, you can change the Aspect ratio in settings to normal. You can also Factory reset your TV to defaults.
It can be a hassle to not being able to view content with its edges getting cut.
The above article explained methods to fixing issues with the TV picture zooming in or out and also problems with aspect ratio.
We hope these methods were helpful to you.