Have you ever tried to sign up for TikTok and got told your phone number is already registered? This can be confusing, especially if it’s your first time using TikTok.
Here’s a simple guide to help you understand why this happens and what you can do about it.
Why does TikTok say ‘this number is already registered’?
TikTok says “phone number is already registered” usually because the number has been used for another account already. This can happen if you’ve forgotten about an old account, the number was previously used by someone else, or it’s a simple mistake in entering the number.
- You might have used it before: Maybe you signed up a while back and forgot about it.
- Someone else had your number: If you got a new phone number, someone else might have used it for TikTok before you.
- Mistakes happen: Double-check the number you entered to make sure it’s correct.
- TikTok’s safety rules: TikTok does this to stop people from making lots of accounts with the same number.
- Technical glitch: In rare cases, a technical issue on TikTok’s end might cause this error message.
How to fix TikTok’s ‘This Number is Already Registered’ issue?
This particular TikTok error is assigned for safe registrations, avoiding spam and other malpractices. Once a number is registered, it cannot be used a second time to create an account. This is done in order to limit account duplication and to allow the unique identification of individual users.
1. Make sure you are entering correct number
The first step to take is to make sure you are entering the correct number.
- Ensure there are no typo errors.
- Check that you have entered the correct area code for your phone number.
- Confirm that the phone number you are entering is currently in service and able to receive text messages or phone calls.
2. Try logging in with your email address or username
There are multiple ways with which you can create or log in to TikTok.
If you are not able to log in or sign up for TikTok with your phone number, you may try another way to sign up.
TikTok allow users to sign up with many ways such as phone number/email, Facebook, Apple ID, Gmail ID, Twitter.
3. Unlink your contact number
The phone number that you possess currently may not have unlinked from its previous TikTok account. If you have made an account using the same number before, you will have to unlink the number to start your new account and remove the error.
Here is how you can proceed with this method;
- Open the TikTok app and log in.
- Go to ‘Me’ at the bottom right, then tap the three dots at the top right for ‘Settings and Privacy’.
- Scroll down and tap ‘Report a Problem’.
- Go to ‘Account and Profile’ > ‘Email and Phone Number’ > ‘Changing the phone number or email associated with your account’.
- Read the information, click ‘No’, then ‘Need More Help?‘.
- Type “I need to change my registered phone number as I don’t have access to it anymore” and send.
- Follow the prompts to verify your identity.
- Once verified, follow the instructions to update your phone number or finish the process.
You could either link a new number to unlink the current number. Or you could try the above method and remove the link. Hope it helps.
4. Contact TikTok’s support team
If you suspect that someone else has used your phone number to create a TikTok account, you can contact TikTok’s support team for assistance.
To request that TikTok remove your phone number from the other account, you may need to provide proof of ownership of the phone number. This can include a phone bill or a screenshot of your phone’s settings page that shows your phone number.
Contact TikTok’s support team via the app or website and explain the situation, providing them with the necessary proof of ownership.
5. Create a new TikTok account
Lastly, if none of the above solutions work, you would like to create a new account with a new phone number or just sign up with your Gmail or Apple ID.
In the meantime, you can keep contacting the TikTok support to resolve the ‘Phone number is already registered’ problem.
Dilha is a writer who loves composing poems and going into deep research on all kinds of tech stuff that they don’t teach in school. Anything that marks the extraordinary part of this generation excites her. she is currently persuing her degree in genetic engineering. here at Android Nature, she is assigned with various cool topics and is responsible for sharing cool insight and updates on the same.